Friday, November 6, 2015

"Some of us just belong here."

John Goodman has said what I have often tried to explain to people:



There have been two places in this world that I have felt instantly at home. One is Ireland, the second, of course, New Orleans. Both places have an instant calming effect on me, accepting me as if I have always belonged there. Just stepping off the plane on visits to New Orleans, my stress would slip away, leaving me feeling more alive. This feeling was a large part behind us moving south--I simply couldn't be away from this place anymore.

New Orleans isn't for everyone. She's beautiful, but dangerous. As I've said before, her beauty comes as much from her flaws as it does the physical landscape. But I think that's part of her charm--she's almost human; she's like all of us, the light and the dark.

I've often thought of friends and family members and wonder: Will they get it? Will they understand the craving for this place that I have? Will they see the beauty in the cracked sidewalks, dive bars, and massive live oaks? In the cities of the dead, the second lines, the constant festivals, our beloved Saints? Or will they only see the poverty and the decay, and notice the smell of the canals and Bourbon Street (which I will always say is better than cow manure!) Some will and feel the urge to return again and again. The city will be in their soul.

I know this post isn't doing the city I love justice. It's almost too complicated to put into words. There's just a feeling here--you either get it, or you don't.

One of my dearest friends calls the people who truly understand and love New Orleans "the true believers," regardless of how long one has lived here. I know New Orleans is not for everyone, but for a lot of us, even if we try, there's no other place we can be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment