Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Once again

It doesn't take much to make me an emotional wreck.

That may seem really cheesy to say, but it's true. When disaster strikes, I am only able to absorb the news/social media/conversations, etc., for a limited amount of time before I have to crawl into my shell and regroup. 

At the same time, I know I am extremely lucky and privileged to be able to do that. So many people in the world, and in this country, can't shut off disaster, because it is with them every day, every year. They are living it, physically, or are scarred by it mentally. I can sit in my house and sympathize, and then retreat to heal myself, because I have that advantage. 

It's not enough. 

I listen, trying to understand the other person's perspective, knowing full well I can never truly comprehend their situation. 

I read, educating myself on history, culture, micro-aggressions, violence, racism, so that I can speak more intelligently on subjects when discussing them, especially with other white people. 

I want to do more. So I keep trying. Keep empathizing. Keep reading. Keep listening. 

What I don't understand is how people don't try. How they can see children suffering in the streets, sleeping outside, haunted by bullets and death, and how they say, "Not my problem." "Not here." 

We have a lot of problems in this country, yes. But we've always told ourselves we had hearts big enough for others as well. I just wish more people would actually live by the words they say they believe in. 


Sending prayers, comfort, and love to the victims in Nigeria today. I only wish they would receive the same attention as their counterparts in Paris. 








No comments:

Post a Comment