Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Rabbit Hole #23--October Reading Wrap-Up

This month was a tough one for my reading. It seemed to take me forever to get through things; as a matter of fact, there's still one book I started at the end of September that I'm trying to finish. I don't know if I'd call it a reading slump, exactly; it was more of the feeling I was moving through molasses. Maybe it's the weather, or that fact that I'm squarely in the middle of the semester and would really just like to curl up in a blanket fort and not come out for the next few weeks!

That all being said, here's some of the highlights from the past month (If you want to see everything I read, you can go here: Rabbit Hole #22: Read Harder Challenge 2015 Update--October).

1. I finished the Read Harder Challenge two months ahead of schedule!! As I said in that post, I'm going to continue to add to the list for November and December, so I can see my progress. It has definitely been good for me and my reading, and I'm looking forward to doing it again next year.

2. The last task I had on that list was a National Book Award, Man Booker Prize, or Pulitzer Prize winner from the past decade. Unfortunately, this is where I stepped in the molasses. I WANTED to love Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall, I really, really did. I usually love stories about England's past and all the infighting and craziness (both literal and figurative) that goes along with histories of the monarchs. But this just left me...bleh. I didn't care about any of the characters; in fact, besides Henry VIII, Thomas Cromwell, and Anne, everyone else bled together. Even those three seemed to be just caricatures of themselves. And at over 500 pages, it took everything I had to get through it. I do have the sequel, Bring Up the Bodies, which also won the Man Booker Prize, but it's going to be a while before I pick that one up.

3. Butterfly Boy: Memories of a Chicano Mariposa by Rigoberto González:
This was my favorite read of the month. González's memoir is a poignant reflection of growing up on both sides of the Mexican/American border, dealing with being part of the migrant community and the prejudice that comes along with that particular situation. It's also a heartwarming, and heartbreaking, tale of a young man coming to terms with his sexuality, particularly in a culture that prizes machismo. It's a quick read and well worth your time. 

4. The Wicked and the Divine, Vols. 1-2 by Kieron Gillan:
Every ninety years, twelve gods come back to Earth. There's only one catch--they only have two years to live once their immortal identities are revealed, inspiring a cult-like following by humans, who flock to them for their short reign. This is a beautifully drawn diverse comic, and the gods are pulled from a variety of religions which all helps to make this my new favorite comic series. 

Here's hoping November turns out better reading-wise. I have several volumes of contemporary poetry and some interesting novels sitting by my bedside, staring at me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment