Saturday, November 21, 2015

Reflection

I had to take the past few days off. Things have gotten so crazy in the world, culminating with the hateful rhetoric from some Republicans and citizens in this country, that I was at a loss.

I honestly don't know what to say any more. I feel as if I'm repeating myself every day, telling people to be kind to each other, to stop the culture of fear and hate we seem to be spiraling in. And this fear and hate is in every aspect of our society--women's rights, LGBTQIA rights, religion, race; the list goes on and on.

What has brought us to this point where people find it so easy to hate each other?

I'm not naive to think that things have ever been perfect; in fact, in a lot of areas, things have never been great, except to whites looking on. But it seems so common place to find posts and news reports filled with some of the most despicable. I've actually lost a lot of respect for some people I've known for a long time.

I have no problem with open discussions. I have no problems with differing opinions. Some of my nearest and dearest are on the opposite side of a lot of issues from me. But when you start talking about hating another group of people, about refusing to help others in desperate need, about rounding people up in camps and making them wear identification, and closing down places of worship and you see absolutely nothing wrong in that? (And you call yourself a Christian?!?) When you refuse to talk about gun control when white males commit most of the mass murders in this country, and yet you're refuse to help people fleeing from annihilation because they "might" commit acts of terror? And accuse my loved ones of treason because they refuse to engage in fear-mongering and hate?

Those are not the type of people I want in my life. Or in my country, quite frankly. Those words go against everything we should stand for as Americans, as imperfect as we are.




No comments:

Post a Comment