Monday, November 2, 2015

NaNoWriMo--sort of

My favorite November "fad" isn't No Shave November. It's not Movember. It's not even the 30 days of blessings.

It's NaNoWriMo. 

For those of you who don't know, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. Every year, thousands of people sign up to write 50, 000 words, roughly the length of a standard novel, in the month of November. It's now in its 16th year, and doesn't show any signs of slowing down. 

While I've never actually participated, I've lived vicariously through friends who have undertaken the challenge. I love seeing what all of those amazing minds create in just 30 short days. Of course, just writing that much doesn't guarantee a novel. It definitely doesn't guarantee a GOOD novel, one that will be picked up by publishers at the end of November and skyrocket to the top of the bestseller lists. (There are definitely exceptions, though: Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants, Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles series, Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, and my personal favorite, Erin Morgenstern's Night Circus, all started out as NaNoWriMo projects). 

For me, I'm starting small this year. My goal is to write a blog post a day--I'm not going to aim for a certain word count, just getting back into the habit of writing daily. It's something I used to do, but for one reason or another, I quit. And just like eating right, exercising, and other habits, once you stop, it's hard to get back to a schedule. 

I'm not sure what these posts will consist of. Some will be reading updates, of course; some will be observations of our new life here in New Orleans. The others? They'll be a surprise to us both. 

And then, who knows: maybe next year will be my novel year!


**So I found out there is actually a name for what I'm doing: NaBloPoMo--National Blog Posting Month. Who would have guessed? 



No comments:

Post a Comment