Monday, January 9, 2017

Rabbit Hole #63: In/Out Jan. 1-7

Happy New Year, everyone! Hope the first week has been treating you well. Sorry this is a day late; it wouldn't be a free weekend without me getting sick. My hope is to get back on a regular schedule with these; if not every week, every two for sure.

Recently Purchased

Black Chalk by Christopher Yates

Just one this week (after the Christmas spree last week, I think that's plenty!). This is the January choice for my book club, and I have no idea what it's about. Should be interesting!








Recently Completed

What Moves at the Margins by Toni Morrison (4.5 stars)

I honestly don't know what to say. This was an amazing collection of Morrison's nonfiction work, from book reviews to her Nobel Prize acceptance speech. It was the essays on race and gender that were especially hard-hitting though--I often had to look at the date of each piece several times, because they are so relevant to our world right now. Sadly, those pieces were written 20-30 years ago in most cases, showing just how far we still have to go. The only reason I didn't give this five stars is because I wanted more--more of her words and her wisdom.



Currently Reading

Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis by Anne Rice

Only about a hundred pages in, and we've already added the mystical realm of Atlantis and some type of extra-terrestrial immortal beings to the already crowded world of vampires, witches, ghosts, and spirits. I'm perfectly okay with that though; Rice's books have always been comfort food for me. They're the type of books I can just sink into and forget about the chaos around me. Looking forward to seeing where she's going to take me. 





Alibis: Essays on Elsewhere by André Aciman

I have really grown to love essay collections over the past few years, and this one ticks all the boxes: travel, memory, art. So far, an enjoyable read. 


No comments:

Post a Comment