Monday, January 2, 2017

2016 Retrospective (non-book version!)

2016.



I think most of us would say that we are extremely glad that dumpster-fire of a year is over. After a wretched election that has left many of us truly fearful for what the next few years will bring, a record number of celebrity/notable persons deaths of people that were extremely important/influential to my generation, horrific attacks around the world, natural disasters. . . it was just too much. Personally, we lost our beloved basset Louie this spring, and my teacher, friend and mentor--the main reason I became a teacher--lost her battle to cancer over Thanksgiving. Other friends and family members had losses and health issues as well, and 2016 couldn't say good-bye soon enough. I don't have any illusions that the coming year is going to be an easy one; in fact, I have a feeling it's going to be like nothing any of us have ever seen, with a lot of things we have come to cherish at risk.

But these are some of the positive things I'm going to take with me from 2016:

We celebrated our first Carnival season and our first Mardi Gras.

We went to our first Jazz Fest.

We had friends and family from out of state visit, and we were able to show them the city we love so much.

My husband got a surprise job opportunity that has opened up some incredible doors for him.

We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary (and took a trip to Disney World to celebrate!)

Friends got married. And engaged.

Family members got engaged. Cousins are expecting their first baby.

Friends have gotten new job opportunities and are making huge life changes.

We spent our weekends cheering (and yelling at) our Huskers and Saints. (Next year!!)

We have a kick-ass trivia group.

We have amazing friends from all over the globe and are constantly meeting more.

My former students are doing incredible things and are changing the world.

My current students are giving me hope for the future.

We've laughed. A lot.

And we're surrounded by love--which is going to make the upcoming battles easier to bear.


So 2016, thanks for the memories.

2017, do better.










No comments:

Post a Comment