Monday, January 2, 2017

Rabbit Hole #61: 2016 Reading Wrap-up

2016: The year that was. In spite of all the drama that 2016 brought with it, and in spite of the fact I felt like I was just in a reading slump for most of it, it still turned out be a pretty decent reading year. Looking back on my 2016 goals, though, I realize I still could have done better.

2016 goals and results: 

1. Read 75 books this year: Nailed it. I actually read 87 this year, for a total of 24, 122 pages.

2. Read 50% books written by people of color and 50% books written by women: 46% of my books were by people of color (so close!) and 72% actually ended up written by women. I'm calling that a win (especially since my percentage of non-white authors in 2015 was only 37%).

3. Read 30% books from non-American/British authors: Fail. Less than 10%. I really do want to focus more on this in the coming year, but looking at my pile already, I'm not sure if it will.

4. Complete three reading challenges: Book Riot's Read Harder 2016 ChallengePopSugar's 2016 Reading Challenge, and Bustle's Women and Persons of Color Reading Challenge: I didn't complete any of them, but I did come close. (Actually, if I had allowed myself to use a book more than once, I probably would have completed at least two of them, but I was stubborn about only using a book once.) I'll post the link to the full challenges and what I accomplished below.

5. Purge my bookshelves at least once a quarter: Eh...maybe not once a quarter. But I have gotten rid of probably 20-30 books this year. I've even found myself putting a book into the donate pile as soon as I've read it; it never had a chance on my shelf.


I'm still figuring out my 2017 goals, so that post will be coming soon. They're probably going to look fairly similar, but there are some new things I want to try. 

(If you're interested in my reading challenge results, the link is here.)


No comments:

Post a Comment