Sunday, September 18, 2016

Rabbit Hole #52: In/Out Sep. 11-17

As I said, nothing finished one week, and then this week--four finished! One of these days I'll figure out my reading habits.



Recently Purchased


 A Wrinkle in Time quintet by Madeline L'Engle

I really thought I still had this series; it was one of my favorites growing up. With Ava Duvernay's new movie version of A Wrinkle in Time coming next year, I knew I had to reread this one. (And the cast! Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon and Mindy Kaling?!?! I am SO here for that!)
Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor

Another post-apocalyptic novel, this time set in a futuristic Sudan, with magical elements thrown in. I'm looking forward to this one, as it's a combination of so many different genres.









Recently Finished

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

Much like Jackson's classic short story "The Lottery," we're dropped into the middle of small-town America where ordinary people do horrific things to each other. The Blackwoods, or what's left of them anyway, are isolated in their ancestral home after an "incident" destroys everyone else in the household. It's wonderfully creepy and disturbing, everything Jackson is known for. 





March, Book Three by John Lewis,  Andrew Aydin, and Nate Powell

A beautiful conclusion to Lewis' story of the Civil Rights Movement, this book focuses on the bombing of the Birmingham church and the March to Selma. And the more we read, the more one realizes that the issues that Lewis and King and so many others were fighting for haven't gone away, they've just changed forms. There is still so much to do, and Lewis, with his sit-in of Congress this spring, is still leading the way. 






Listen, Slowly by Thanhhà Lai

This was a charming, if predictable, middle-grade story about a young girl discovering her roots in Vietnam. There were hints of the Vietnam War and the impact it had, and is still having, on those involved, but it was primarily about a tween learning that the world is bigger than her little corner of Laguna Beach. I would recommend it for younger readers, though. 






The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon

This was a fun read and interesting enough that I might pick up the sequel. I wouldn't say there was anything particularly ground-breaking about it, though. As I said last week, it's a mash-up of Beauty and the Beast, the Hunger Games, and 1984, which isn't a bad combination; it just doesn't lend itself to stand out among other dystopian fictions. At some point, you would think this genre would wear itself out; I don't know how many more ways you can create a world gone awry.




Currently Reading

Trail of Crumbs: Hunger, Love, and the Search for Home by Kim Sunée

A lot of the reviews of this criticize Sunée for being too shallow, too uncaring. But this is a memoir of her twenties, a time when most of us were shallow and uncaring toward those around us. Taken as such, this is an engaging read, coupled with recipes from New Orleans, Swedish and French cuisine. I'm enjoying it so far. 






Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

This is the second in Mantel's series about Henry VIII's advisor Thomas Cromwell.  The story is interesting, but as with Wolf Hall, I'm just not finding her writing style very compelling. It's too much exposition and too many characters thrown into scenes. I'd like a little more dialogue--Twain's showing versus telling, if you will--without it, everything seems very detached. 



No comments:

Post a Comment