Sunday, December 11, 2016

Rabbit Hole #58: In/Out Dec. 4-10

A fairly quiet reading week, but I'm back to reading regularly!

Recently Purchased

I have to buy Christmas presents...I have to buy Christmas presents...I have to buy Christmas presents..


Recently Finished



O Pioneers! by Willa Cather (4 stars)

This is one of those books I'm a little ashamed I hadn't read yet: it's a classic and I'm an English major, AND it's written by arguably my home state's most famous author, Willa Cather. I knew the story, but for whatever reason, hadn't picked it up. I'm glad I did--this short work talks about devotion to a place you love and is filled with Cather's beautifully evocative prose. The protagonist Alexandra is a female farmer which is extremely revolutionary, both for then and now. The novel also contains Cather's insights into the variety of immigrants who helped settle and develop the Midwest, with all of their positive and negative traits (she's not very kind to my Swedish ancestors!).



Currently Reading
(Still reading both of these this week)

The Witches: Salem, 1692 by Stacy Schiff

The more things change. . .

Humans really need to start evolving. 






The Killing Moon by N. K. Jemison

This might be the one science fiction book that hooks me. . . stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment