Sunday, December 4, 2016

Rabbit Hole #57: In/Out Nov. 27-Dec. 3

After a lengthly lull, back to the books!

Recently Purchased

I blame the sales. 

 




Recently Finished

Akata Witch by Ndedi Okorafor (4 stars)

I loved this book. Sunny is a young albino Nigerian-American girl who discovers she is a free agent of a group of magical people called the Leopard People. She and her group of friends attend magical training while keeping their identities secret in the "real" world. They are also the latest Oha coven, whose goal is to stop the renegade Black Hat, a sorcerer who has been kidnapping children to bring about a Nigerian demon. My only real issue with the book, and the issue with a lot of YA books like this, is how quickly the conflict is resolved at the end of the novel. Otherwise, I would highly recommend it--to all ages of YA readers. 


Currently Reading

The Witches: Salem, 1692 by Stacy Schiff

Fear, paranoia, revenge--those things have caused some of the worst atrocities in this country, and the Salem Witch Trials were only the beginning. In troubled times like we have today, it's important to learn from the mistakes our ancestors made and strive to not commit the same. 







The Killing Moon by N. K. Jemison

I've just barely started this novel about a planet with a society based on ancient Egypt, which is one of my weaknesses. I think I've read more science fiction this year than I ever have, and I'm still looking for that one to hook me into the genre. Hopefully this will be the one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment