Sunday, October 2, 2016

Rabbit Hole #54: In/Out Sep. 25-Oct. 1

Hit a reading wall again. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it!


Recently Purchased

Still doing well on the no-book buying thing. Still miss hitting my favorite stores.



Recently Finished


Lady Susan by Jane Austen (3 stars)

This is a bit of a cheat--I've finished the first novella in here, but I haven't gotten to the others yet. Lady Susan was actually a let down after having read Austen's full length novels. It was full of completely unlikable characters, which I usually like, and multiple narrators, which I also usually like, but the combination just didn't work here. In Austen's other works, you can see a sly wit and beautiful societal commentary, but this seemed lacking in that department. 



Currently Reading

Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

Still reading. . . Henry VIII's first wife has just died, Anne Boleyn miscarried their son, and Henry's getting the roving eye. Again. 







Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jeremy McCarter

I am taking my time and savoring this. I love the short essays on the development of the musical, and Miranda's notes on the the actual book. It's always fascinating to see a "mind at work."

No comments:

Post a Comment