Sunday, August 14, 2016

Rabbit Hole #46: In/Out Aug. 7-13

I have a confession to make. School started this week, and I have been preoccupied with getting my classroom ready and trying to readjust to waking up early. (I am, as anyone who knows me will attest, NOT a morning person. Life would be better if it started at 9 a.m.) As a result, this week was horrible for reading, so most of these books are going to look like last week's. I promise to be better!


Recently Purchased

I've been a good girl, I have, to paraphrase Eliza Doolittle. No new books added to the shelves this week. 

Recently Finished

Um...yeah. 

Currently Reading

The Round House by Louise Erdrich

This follows an Ojibwe woman in North Dakota who has been attacked and her 13 year old son who tries to unravel what happened. This is a very compelling read, diving into PTSD and how trauma affects not only the victim, but everyone around them. 







The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

I've read the first volume of this graphic memoir before, but never the second. Satrapi chronicles her life in Iran before, during, and after the Revolution (as well as her high school years in Vienna). Honestly, if you truly want to understand a culture, read about it. I've learned more about Iran from Satrapi and Nazar Afisi (Reading Lolita in Tehran) than I could ever learn from watching the evening news. 





The Chaos by Nalo Hopkinson

A YA dystopian novel following 16 year old Scotch, a mixed race teen whose skin is being covered by an unremovable sticky black substance. Then her brother disappears in a bubble of light, and everyone in town starts changing. I'm not very far in, but I'm already loving Scotch's voice. Maybe it's because school has started again, but she seems a lot like some of my students. I'm looking forward to where this is going. 





The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander

Ferguson. New York. Baltimore. Baton Rouge. Dallas. Milwaukee. If you want to know why #blacklivesmatter, and why this is the continuation of the Civil Rights Movement, read this book. 









Hopefully all of these will be finished this week, and I'll have something new to report!


No comments:

Post a Comment