Sunday, April 12, 2015

Rabbit Hole #11: Liar, Temptress, Solider, Spy by Karen Abbott


I finished this book last week for one of my book clubs. It was a fascinating read, chronicling the lives of four women, two Union supporters and two Confederate, who risked everything to help their side during the Civil War. The title is a little misleading, as it makes it sound as if one title would fit a single woman, but all four women worked as spies at different times during the war, all were liars after a fashion, and two definitely were temptresses (although they used their feminine "charm" to seduce men to uncover important secrets). 

I realized that my own upbringing and prejudices about the Civil War influenced which women I was rooting for. The Confederate women grated on my nerves: their thoughts about Lincoln, the emancipation of slaves, their thoughts on black people in general just made me not like them and actually hope that they would fail. That being said, I couldn't help but admire their ingenuity and desire to do whatever it took to help the South win the war, even at great personal risk. 

My favorite was Emma Edmonds (aka Frank Thompson), who lived her life as a man to escape a horrific home life, and then used that persona to join the Union Army. She was a medic, a nurse, a spy, and much more during her tenure. Her struggle to keep her identity secret, and her decision to reveal it to two different men during the war, was both heartbreaking and inspiring. 

My biggest regret with this book, however, is that it focused solely on white women's contributions to the war. Even though Abbott mentions Elizabeth Van Lew's servant, Mary Ann, who became a spy in the Confederate White House, she's only a mention, when, in fact, if it hadn't been for her, most of the Union's intelligence wouldn't have been gathered. I would have liked to have seen at least one of the sections focus on a woman of color. There were many risking their lives on a daily basis to help insure the success of the Union; it's a shame they weren't given more consideration. 

That being said, I highly recommend this book to any history buff, anyone interested in women's history or women's rights, or anyone who just likes a good spy story--there's plenty for everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment