Thursday, April 16, 2015

Learning to Live With Uncertainty

Our realtor in New Orleans sent us updated pictures of our house yesterday. It's being completely renovated, so seeing the progress made since we were there in March was really exciting--and a bit sobering.

It really hit home yesterday: We are moving. In six weeks. Halfway across the country.

And while this is such an amazing change, and I can't wait to get started on the next stage in our lives, I'm having to deal with a degree of uncertainty that I haven't had in a while:
  • We can't just pop over to see how the house is coming along; we have to have complete faith in people we only met for a few hours to create a wonderful place for us to live. 
  • Home insurance is drastically different in New Orleans than Nebraska (ya know, floods and hurricanes and things). 
  • I still don't have a job. I don't know if I want to continue teaching or branch out into something new, so I'm applying for a lot of different things. I would like to have something in place before we move, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen. (*cue mild anxiety*)
  • We have three dogs and a cat. How on earth are we going to get them all down there with minimum stress on all of us?!?
  • We have to find a vet, doctors, dentists, etc., etc. . . . 
  • I'm sure I can come up with more. . .just give me time. . .
Luckily, we know the New Orleans area, and we have some dear friends there who can help us once we get down there. That makes this easier than if we were moving to, I don't know, the Philippines. (Right, Mom and Dad?)

In the midst of all this uncertainty is a quote by Paulo Coelho that keeps reminding me why we are doing this:


I've got this. 




No comments:

Post a Comment