Friday, January 23, 2015

Rabbit Hole #4: 2015 Read Harder Challenge--January

I've never been one to post reading goals. I tend to read about 50 books a year, which, given I'm teaching English full-time and grading papers, is not too bad; although, I wish I could read more. But this year, one of my favorite bookish sites, BookRiot, posted a reading challenge for 2015. It's not about reading MORE books, but varying the types of books you read. Happily, I have books currently that fit some of the categories, and I have more on my to-be-read (TBR) list that also fit the criteria. I'm excited to do this, not because I don't already read a wide variety of genres, but it forces you to stretch a bit (not sure about the romance and audiobook ones, though). So here's my list, and I'll be updating it throughout the year. I've also posted the link to BookRiot below. They have some great lists of titles if you decide you also want to participate.  If you are a reader, definitely check them out!

Read Harder 2015 Challenge To Date: (ones finished in blue)

A book written by someone when they were under 25:
A book written by someone when they were over the age of 65:
A collection of short stories:
A book published by an indie press:
A book by or about someone who identifies as LGBTQ:
A book by someone of a different gender than you: Shooting Victoria: Madness, Mayhem, and the Rebirth of the British Monarchy by Paul Thomas Murphy
A book that takes place in Asia:
A book by an author from Africa:
A book by or about someone from an indigenous culture:
A microhistory:
A YA novel:
A sci-fi novel:
A romance novel:
A National Book Award, Man Booker Prize or Pulitzer from last decade:
A book that is a retelling of a classic story:
An audiobook:
A collection of poetry: Once by Alice Walker
A book that someone else recommended to you:
A book originally published in another language:
A graphic novel, memoir or collection of comics:
A guilty pleasure:
A book published before 1850:
A book published this year:
A self-improvement book:

Here's the link: BookRiot.com
Check out BookRiot's podcasts and YouTube channel as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment