Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Thelma's Cross-Country Observations Day Two

Being from Nebraska, I'm used to road-kill on the interstate: deer, raccoon, skunk, even the occasional coyote. Armadillo? That's a new one for me.

Mississippi was a nice rest on the eyes after the onslaught of billboards in Missouri yesterday. Loved all of the trees. Did not like the rock chip in my windshield you gave me in the construction zone through Jackson, though. Where's the Southern hospitality?!?

Then Louisiana. You are the very definition of shabby chic. You have such rough edges, have been beaten down by everything man and nature could throw at you, and yet you are still beautiful (I'm just talking about the state in general. New Orleans takes everything up still another notch.) And then the WATER!!!! Sorry, Nebraska. I love you, but you just don't have enough of it for me. From swamps and bayous, to spillways and causeways, to lakes and rivers, there's enough water to make this island-born, water-sign baby smile for years.

And now, my beloved New Orleans--ma coeur. My home for the next few days. Hot, yes. Humid, yes. Full of life, music, unimaginable food and experiences, yes. Full of tragedy and hard times even today, yes. But full of a spirit that keeps it thriving, keeps it living, keeps me coming back.

Makes turning 40 a little less difficult. How could it not?


No comments:

Post a Comment